Terms of Reference – ToR
Purpose of the Political Economy Analysis (PEA)
The purpose of this Analysis is to deepen understanding of the prevailing context with the key factors that shape decisions regarding development, and this understanding would orient Oxfam’s operations and engagement at country level. The specific objectives are :
Critically analyse and document key actors and structures, formal and informal institutions of the political economies (focusing on prioritized themes) and how these shape decision-making and development in the country, to better understand the type and source of challenges associated with working in a volatile socio-economic context as Burundi ;
Describe likely political and socio-economic scenarios for the next decade and their implications for Oxfam work and operational models within Burundi ;
Better understand the potential of civil society in Burundi and the advantages and risks (operational, legal and financial) for Oxfam engaged in working mainly through CSOs ;
To flesh out the different levels of contribution to the lessening and/or the aggravating of the Burundi political economy instability and therefore allow emerging adapting ideas for advocacy and lobbying.
Core and Supporting Questions
Initial questions are listed below, but will need to be refined, and finalized, once the consultant(s) will be selected.
Core questions :
• (Knowledge Goal) What are the challenges and opportunities associated with Oxfam’s ability to reduce its footprint in Burundi ?
• (Operational Question) What approaches offer the best prospects for advancing constructive and sustainable activity of Oxfam in Burundi ?
Supporting Questions :
• What are the main challenges (political, social, economic) to working in Burundi today ?
• What are the possible scenarios for the country in the next 5 years ?
• What are the implications of the above for Oxfam work in Burundi and in the HECA region ?
• Which stakeholder groups actually hold power to effect/impede change ?
• What are the main challenges to improving the ability of CSOs in Burundi to represent themselves and advance their interests ? What factors explain these challenges ?
• Who are the critical stakeholders who can affect or impede change in civil society ? What are their concerns/interests ? To what incentives might they respond ?
• What are the implications of the above for Oxfam work in Burundi ?
How to apply to this opportunity
Please send :
3. A technical offer, which includes the comprehension of the mission and the CVs of the consultants
4. A financial offer
By June, 10th 2019 at the following addresses : to email@example.com,Alice.firstname.lastname@example.org and Michael.email@example.com
The complete ToR can be obtained at Oxfam’s premises in Bujumbura, Avenue du large 10bis, near La Détente or by mail at firstname.lastname@example.org